Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Basics Presents: The Statement Bag



My First year out of college I bought a Fendi Speedy Bag, it was a logo pattern and sat perfectly on my arm. I loved that bag and would joking tell my friends that my bag told people who I was whether I had on sweatpants or pumps! I later felt that it was more of an occasion bag because I wanted to look like estate money not new money. My statement bag would change every couple of years, usually along with my occupation, city and yes with my man. The CPA’s statement bag was a Lous Vuitton EPI Leather Jazmin, the rappers was a Fendi Spy bag, the business man was a Gucci indy ( oh how I miss him!) and the 9-5 government worker who was a good man with catty sisters was a basic Hobo Cole Haan. Either way it was a bag that I wore almost every day and made the statement I was trying to convey. Before looking for a statement maybe we should look at your statement, now remember you can, should, must switch it up for various outings. The statement bag is generally larger so it may not go with the LBD and it would seem out of place in the club. I cringe when I see lady’s in the club with a cute outfit and the purse they wore that day to work, Switch it up boo boo! Sorry I had to get that out, now back to your statement. Is it “College fly chick – Marc by Marc Jacobs Hobo, “ I work hard play hard – Louis Vuitton Damier Speedy”, “ Never the norm – Betsey Johnson ”, “Something’s never go out of style – Vintage Chanel”. You have to make that decision and you should do it before you shop, the last thing you want to do is spend statement bag money on a bag that will become an outfit bag or something that you don’t wear because it’s not really your style.

2 comments:

  1. Such a funny post! I stalked that exact spy bag through college too. Now that I have it, it's one of those bags that will never get old to me. Statement bags are definitely a must!

    xoxo
    Jillian
    www.NuSophisticate.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need a STATEMENT bag! help me pick one for my 31st bday gift to myself!

    ReplyDelete