Monday, March 5, 2012

Random Thought....Num Lips




Disney has had a huge part in shaping the way we look at relationships and love over the past decade. The propaganda that is feed to us about being saved, evil step mothers, perfect shoes, long hair and that magic kiss serves as the undercover basis to our connection to happy ever after. One that we have turned into a dating adaptation is the story of the princesses kissing the frog and turning him into a prince. This has been changed into “Girl, sometimes you have to take the frog and turn him into your prince” or “ He just needs so new cloths and kiss to be the prince and not the frog “ or my favorite “ You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get a prince”. I don’t remember the fairytale being that complex. She kissed one frog and got one prince! That’s it and that’s all. Now you’re telling me I have to go around kissing frogs hoping to get the right lily pad that day and get my prince. Well at 30 years old my lips have become num. In the endless journey to turn an amphibian into a man, a prince no doubt I have lost the feeling in my lips. I don’t think I’m alone with this thought either, I think many of my friends going for their Prince kissed a frog and decided they didn’t want to kiss anymore and would just put a suit on the frog and go with it! I mean look at Kermit, all the kissing that Miss Piggy did and he never turned into Prince William. So has our original fairytale belief gone too far from the root of the story? Have we turned into a society of settlers or is there still a belief that you will find that one frog that really did have a spell on him. And perhaps you won’t get the frog that turns into a prince maybe you can find the frog that turns into a great man though, would that be enough? I think we need to start looking at men for who they are and not trying to turn them into our twisted nine year old thoughts of happiness. Look at them and not expect for them to be a knight or prince instead a good man. In doing this we will see that we may not be a princess right now. Kermit and Miss Piggy make it work not because she settles for a frog but because she realized that she was a pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment